Amhari Mesir Wat – Ethiopian Lentil Bowl
- 1/2 c Red lentils
- 2 lg Onions
- 1/2 c Oil
- 3 tb Tomato paste
- 1/2 ts Paprika; sweet or hot
- 1 Garlic
- 1/2 ts Ground ginger
- 1/4 ts Black pepper
- 1 ts Salt
- 3 c Water
- Sort the lentils and soak in tap water for 30 minutes.
- Rinse in running water and drain.
- Peel and finely chop the onions. peel and mash the garlic.
- Heat the oil in large pan and sauté the onion until golden.
- Add tomato paste and paprika and mix.
- Add half the water and the garlic, ginger pepper and salt.
- Stir well and then add the rest of the water, stir again, cover and bring to boil.
- When the water boil, add the lentils, lower the flame and cook 20-30 minutes, until the lentils soften.
- Serve hot.